April 4, 2025
Police IG

During his visit to the families of the 16 Hausa hunters killed in Uromi, Edo State, the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau Jibrin, reassured the families that the perpetrators would be brought to justice according to the laws of the land.

Senator Barau Jibrin expressed deep sympathy and sorrow for the victims, who hailed from Bunkure, Kibiya, Rano, and Garko Local Government Areas (LGAs), during a meeting held at the At-Taqwa Mosque in the Sabon Fegi area of Bunkure LGA.

Additionally, he donated N1 million to each of the 16 victims’ families. He mentioned that, in addition to the 14 suspects already arrested, security agents had apprehended two more individuals in connection with the killings of the hunters.

“I’m announcing the donation of N1 million to each of the families of the 16 deceased hunters, totalling N16m, this is nothing but to cushion the effect of the sorrowful condition you find your selves”, he said

The Deputy President of the Senate said he would sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

“I’m here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday. May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.

“I was worried when the incident happened. I had to call the state governor, security agencies and all stakeholders involved. They swung into action, and so far apart from the 14 people who have been arrested, two more suspects have been nabbed. The state governor, who visited my house in Abuja, has assured me that the state government will support you.

“We will not take it lightly. We will ensure that the culprits are brought to book and face the wrath of the law,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the families, the Chief Imam of the area, Sheikh Zainul Auwal, thanked Senator Barau for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as the leader needed for the country’s development.

In a related development, the NHRC and the Human Rights Civil Society Organizations Advocates in Kano have condemned the gruesome killing of 16 Kano indigenes in Uromi in Edo state.

The body made this known on Wednesday in Kano during a press conference jointly addressed by Shehu Abdullahi, State Coordinator, NHRC, Kano Office and Peter Hassan Tijani, Executive Director, Network for Empowerment & Devt. Initiative.

The organisation said, “Such violence not only undermines the trust in our justice system but also violates the fundamental human rights guaranteed by the Nigerian Constitution and international human rights standards. At this juncture, we must commend the actions taken by the Federal and governments of Kano and Edo states in taking swift action of issuing press statements that condemn the act and directing the Law Enforcement Agencies to bring the perpetrators to book.”

The Deputy Senate President was joined by the Minister of State of Housing and Urban Development, Hon Yusuf Abdullahi Ata, the Managing Director of the North West Development Commission (NWDC), Professor Abdullahi Shehu Ma’aji, and other dignitaries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *