The Kaduna State government yesterday said it had received belongings of some passengers who were on the attacked Abuja-Kaduna train last Monday.
The commissioner, internal security and home affairs, Samuel Aruwan, in a statement said the items were handed over to the state government by the military authorities who had gathered them from within and around the scene during search operations after the attack.
Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i thanked the military authorities for their careful handling and documentation of the items, comprising over 100 pieces of luggage, valuables, gadgets and personal effects.
Aruwan said nine persons had already collected their items after presenting proof at the point of recovery.
“The remaining belongings, received with a detailed inventory, will be carefully stored. A system for the receipt of claims will be communicated to the public subsequently,” the statement added,
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) says the attacked Abuja-Kaduna train had a seat capacity and couldn’t have had 970 passengers as alleged in the media.
The managing director of NRC, Engr. Fidet Okhiria, who made the clarification in Abuja, said: “The Abuja – Kaduna service is run on a fully automated e-ticket system with entry and exit turnstiles that validate every passenger on board our trains. Ticket checkers also validate the tickets of every passenger via electronic validators linked to the central system to verify the integrity of our manifest.