President Muhammadu Buhari says the youth should not continue the #EndSARS protests in the streets considering the many lives have been lost in the process.
Buhari said this on Sunday during the maiden edition of the national youth day tagged, ‘invest in the youth, secure our future’.
The president said while he condemns the use of force against peaceful demonstrators, the youth must understand that protests cannot continue indefinitely.
He said his administration has so far demonstrated commitment to addressing the various demands raised by the protesters, adding that the youth should reciprocate such gestures by embracing dialogue with the government.
“You must realise that protests cannot last indefinitely. Our government will not lift a hand to stop or suppress you. However, the fact of the matter is that other forces and actors will seek to take over your protests that they may redirect them in ways you did not intend and perhaps do not agree with,” he said.
“Every successful protest movement the world over has understood that there comes a time when activity must move from the street to the negotiation table. That time for you has come. Do not be afraid. Welcome the chance to talk to government.
“It is important that we all strive to use this moment constructively. Too many people have already been lost. It is our duty to use this fateful situation to move ourselves to a more just and caring society.”