A coalition of Fulani groups is demanding the setting up of a panel by the Federal and Kaduna State governments to investigate the recent alleged killings in Kajuru local government area of Kaduna State.
Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore Fulani Socio-cultural Association, Mobgal Fulbe Development Association (MOFDA), Gan Allah Fulani Development Association (GAFDAN) and Fulbe Global Development and Right Initiative at a joint press conference in Kaduna on Friday also asked the security agencies to commence “the process of detailed documentation of the violence, including collection of exhibits and all relevant information to isolate the perpetrators of the violence, arrest and prosecute them for genocide.”
They said their verification showed that 131 Fulani were killed during the mayhem,one more than the 130 figure given by Governor Nasir El-Rufai.
The groups claimed that while 66 bodies were recovered, many other bodies could not be found apparently because they have been burnt by the perpetrators of the killings.
Their spokesman, Engr. Saleh Alhassan of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore said: “In terms of human loss, 131 persons have so far been killed.
“The bodies of 66 persons were recovered as earlier stated, where mass burials were performed, with the highest being 37 persons buried in a single, shallow grave in a valley.
“The dead bodies of 65 pastoralists are yet to be recovered. It is important to state here that, survivors had seen when the members of their families were captured by the Adara youths and moved in the directions of the forest for cold-blooded execution in the most brutal of ways.”
Alhassan condemned what he called attempts by some people and organizations to deny the killings.
His words: “Since the news of the carnage first broke, some people without any iota of evidence began discrediting the reports from the security authorities.
“Furthermore, many others began to politicise this gruesome crime, where innocent lives were lost.
“Our organisations had taken time to interact with the victims and ascertain the level of death, killing of animals, loss of properties.
“It is established that the attackers applied maximum violence, adopting total annihilation where all members of families attacked were killed irrespective of age and gender. For this reason, nobody was spared, except those who survived through the miracles of the Almighty God.
“This is the third time that these forms of crimes are committed by the Adara communities against the pastoralists, now becoming a recurring phenomenon since 2017.
“I believe every Nigerian will recall the brutal murder of about 100 innocent pastoralists, mostly children, women and the elderly by the Adara militia youths at Angwan Aku and environs in June 2017.
“That episode is yet to be investigated, and to date, nobody is held accountable.”
“We recognize the effort of the security agencies in rescuing some of the victims, but hasten to add that, there intervene came too late after the brutal murder of many.”
The coalition released a list purportedly containing the names of the victims of the mayhem.
The casualties include 70 children under the age of 10 and 16 others between the ages of 11 and 20 years.