Victims of 2011 violence in Southern Kaduna have asked the Federal Government to pay up the N4 billion compensation earmarked for them.
The victims, under the umbrella of Southern Kaduna Muslim Ummah Development Association (SOKAMUDA), made the appeal at a press conference on Wednesday in Kaduna.
The association Chairman, Ahmad Yandeh, said the victims had been abandoned and forgotten since the crisis that occurred seven years ago in which over 1, 000 Muslims were killed.
“It is an incontrovertible fact that the April 2011 Post Election Violence which took the typology of ethno religious cleansing (genocide) in some parts of Southern Kaduna had led to the death of over one thousand Muslims.
“The forceful displacement of over 25, 000 families from 38 settlements and the complete destruction of their dwellings, places of worship, farmlands, livestock and other means of livelihoods,“ Yandeh said.
According to him, the federal government promised to pay a compensation of N7 billion to the victims but only released N3 billion through the Kaduna State Government.
He added that the violence had “left behind huge humanitarian challenges facing the survivors made up widows, orphans, Internally Displaced Persons who were robbed of their homes, means of livelihood and places of worship.“
The chairman noted that in spite of the detailed investigation of the “genocide“ by Judicial Commission of Inquiry and Presidential Panel and issuance of white papers by both the state and federal government, “no one has been prosecuted for their role in the mayhem.”
“We acknowledge the efforts of various organizations, local and International, various Stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, CBOs, Foreign Embassies, and NASS Committees etc for the sundry efforts in peace building and mediation efforts in southern Kaduna.
He urged the state government to empower traditional institutions to ensure check and balances within their domain, so that they can be held accountable for any breach of peace and extrajudicial killings in their areas.