AIDE-DE-CAMP TO PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI, GCFR, COL M.L. ABUBAKAR TURNS 45yrs on March 28, 2018
1. The Aide-De-Camp (ADC) to President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, Colonel Mohammed Lawal Abubakar turns 45 years old today. He was born on the 28th March 1973 at Wusasa Zaria. He attended Nigerian Military School (NMS) Zaria from 1985 – 1990 where he developed early leadership skills. As fate designed it, like President Muhammadu Buhari, Colonel Abubakar was also the Head Boy of his set (Popularly known as Boy Regimental Sergeant Major).
2. After graduating from NMS in 1990 he had a stilt stay at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria as a science undergraduate student. He later proceeded to Nigerian Defence Academy in 1992 on gaining admission as a member of 44 Regular Course to read Biological Sciences. He is a tested and experienced commander, trained and discipline instructor, security manager and a talented investigator.
3. Colonel Abubakar had served in various Army units and formations within and outside Nigeria at different capacities. These include the; then Lagos Garrison Command Provost, United Nations Mission in Sierra Leone, Headquarters Nigerian Army Corps of Military Police Admin Company Apapa Lagos, Special Investigation Bureau Apapa Lagos (Briefly) and Army Headquarters Provost Group Lokoja. Others are; Nigerian Army School of Military Police Basawa Zaria for 4 years as an Instructor and Staff Officer Grade 2 training and operations, Nigerian Defence Academy Provost Kaduna as Commander NDA Provost and an Instructor, then Seven (7) Division Provost Group Maiduguri as the pioneer Acting Provost Commander.
4. Abubakar was also the Camp Commandant Giwa Barracks detention facility (Operation Zaman Lafiya) between November 2013 – 2014 which held over 1500 suspected Boko Haram Terrorist detainees. He was the first Camp Commandant to host/receive the International Committee of the Red Cross and Crescent to the detention facility in January 2014. Furthermore, he served at the Nigerian Army Training Centre Kontagora as Staff Officer Grade One Operations and Training. He also coordinated the training of 143 Battalion on Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Insurgency with the United States Rangers and the British Military Advisory Training Teams respectively. He was appointed ADC to Mr President, Federal Republic of Nigeria in May 2015.
5. Colonel Abubakar has attended courses, several seminars and workshops. He attended Young Officers’ Course Infantry, Military Police Officers’ Basic Course, Regimental Signal Officers’ Course and Police Administration and Security Management Course. Others courses include; Junior Division Course (Army), Military Police Officers’ Advanced Course, Senior Course (32) Army, Joint Military Adviser/Attachee Course and Alternative Dispute Resolution Course at Dubai (United Arab Emirate).
6. Colonel ML Abubakar has the following qualifications; Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological Sciences from the Nigerian Defence Academy, Masters in Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice and Masters in International Affairs & Diplomacy (MIAD) both from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria respectively.
7. He has earned numerous decorations and medals in the course of his service to the nation. These also include; Forces Service Star (FSS), Meritorious Service Star (MSS), Passed Staff College (psc), Passed Junior Staff Course (pjsc), Command Medal (CM), Field Command Medal (FCM) and United Nation Mission in Sierra Leone Medal (UNAMSIL). Others are; General Operations Medal (GOM), Golden Jubilee Medal, Centenary and Operation Zaman Lafiya Medals.
8. Colonel Abubakar has travelled to over 40 countries globally. He is happily married to Hajiya Fatima Musa and blessed with a daughter Aisha Nawal.