The leadership of the Nigeria Union of Teachers in Kaduna State on Wednesday tackled Governor Nasir El-Rufai over the sacking of over 21,000 teachers in the state.
While the teachers accused the governor of seeking to frustrate the court injunction restraining him from sacking the teachers, El-Rufai argued that the state had sacked the teachers before the National Industrial Court judgement.
The union and the government had been involved in a conflict over the sacking of the over 21,000 primary school teachers who failed a primary four competency test conducted by the government.
As the government went further to call for applications to fill the positions vacated by the sacked teachers, the Kaduna chapter of the Nigerian Union of Teachers dragged the state to the National Industrial Court for arbitration.
The Kaduna Division of the National Industrial Court on December 14, 2017 stopped the planned sacking of 21,780 teachers who failed the test.
However, in a radio interview on the state-owned Kaduna Media Corporation, the governor said the issue of the sacked teachers was sealed before the judgement of the National Industrial Court.
He accused the leadership of the NUT of patronising private primary schools and allowing the public primary schools in the state to rot away.
El-Rufai noted that an investigation carried out by the government showed that no children of the NUT leadership in the state attended public primary schools.
Calling on other government officials and civil servants in Kaduna to enroll their children in public schools, he said, “My son, Abubakar Sadiq, is four years-old now. In the next years when he turns six, whether I am the governor of Kaduna State or not.”
But, the NUT chairman in the state, Mr. Audu Amba, and the state Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Mr. Ango Adamu, at a press conference on Wednesday in Kaduna, said they were surprised to learn from the governor that the court was wrong in restraining him from sacking the teachers.