The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has alleged that the federal government is using the war against terror as a pretext to siphon funds.
The allegation is coming at the heels of the $1billion which states governors have authorized the government to take from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) belonging to all tiers of government.
In a statement issued by the National Publicity Secretary of the opposition party, Kola Ologbodiyan in Abuja on Sunday, the PDP said government’s criticism against the PDP is an attempt to divert attention from the sleeves going on under the present administration and it moves to use the fight against terrorism as a conduit to siphon public funds for partisan purposes.
The PDP challenged the government to address the issues it had raised particularly the withdraw from the ECA rather than making unsubstantiated allegations against the former ruling party.
The statement read: “The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described as inexcusable, moves by the APC Federal Government to divert attention from its attempt to pilfer $1b from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) to finance partisan activities. “The PDP, which insisted that the Federal Government must address the issue, noted that “the attempt by the APC Federal Government to divert attention from the fraud, by resorting to unsubstantiated allegations against the PDP only reinforcesits manipulative tendencies and arrogant spurn to the sensibilities of Nigerians.” “PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan in a statementon Sundayalso challenged the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, to substantiate his claims that the PDP was rebranding with stolen money.
Ologbondiyan said ‘such wild allegation was only intended to divert public attentionfrom the heavy sleazes under the current administration, the latest being the moves to use the fight against terrorism as a conduit to siphon public funds for partisan purposes.’
“The Federal Government has failed to address issues raised by the PDP and majority of Nigerians, including APC members, who can not fathom how this administration would want to expend N365bn on fighting insurgents it claimed had been technically defeated.“ It is indeed appalling that rather than being remorseful, the APC Federal Government has renewed its wild allegations and cheap blackmail against the PDP.“
It is a clear to all that the PDP do not have access to public funds and cannot be rebranding with stolen money. Instead, we are rebranding on the grace of the general goodwill of Nigerians who have suffered untold hardships in close to three years of APC government.“
While we understand the nervousness of the APC Federal Government over our rebranding and the renewed popularity of the PDP, which has signaled their inevitable death knell, resorting to outlandish allegations will not help them as Nigerians have since seen through suchold-fashioned propaganda and gimmicks. “We are however not surprised by this diversionary and deceptive approach from the APC government; a government whose officials have since become notorious for dishing out falsehood to Nigerians to covertheir incompetence and corrupt tendencies. “This is the same minister of information, who in a press in conference in Abuja, in 2016, promoted allegations that 55 people stole a total of N1.34 trillion; that 5 former governors stole N146.8 billion; that 4 former ministers stole N7 billion.
All these have remained unsubstantiated. “While we challenge this Government to come clean on the issue of the $1bn Excess Crude money, we also challenge the minister of information to comment on allegations that the APC funded its 2015 presidential campaign with stolen public funds, particularly from Lagos and Rivers states. “He should also waste no time in commenting on allegations of corruption against their former SGF, Babachir Lawal, the Mainagate and other heavy sleazes going on unabated under the current APC-led administration.”