After withdrawing 37 of the students sponsored by the Kwankwaso administration to study Nursing in Egypt, Ganduje now targets another set of 28 students. Below is the email I received from one student leader. (I deliberately withheld his name)
From the letter, another 28 students are likely to return home without a degree after spending three good years because the government has refused to pay their fees for JUST ONE MORE SEMESTER. Here is the letter:
“I hope this mail finds you in good health, you and your family. I pray that you will be protected from all that’s bad and undesirable by the almighty Allah.
Yesterday I listened to your program Daurin boye sent to me via whatsapp by one of my friends. I was deeply elated with the way you presented our issue to the public. I with the entire students and our parents are really grateful for the support you’ve been giving us.
Yet there’s another issue, I think you should know. Right now the Kano State government is not after 37 students alone. Last month when they called our parents to tell them the decision they’ve taken regarding the 37 students, they told them another thing. The thing is that the government will not continue sponsoring the students after June 2018, because that’s the time when the contract between school, the company and the government will terminate. Despite the fact that some of the students will not graduate by that time. Which I’m included.
If you remember, I told you about the semester we lost at October 6 university. That semester altered the original graduation plan. First because we’d to carry over the courses we missed, second because it destroyed our GPAs, so it reduced the capacity of the credit hours we could take each semester. For example you can’t register 21 credit hours unless you’ve 3.00 point and above. That slowed many of us down.
Furthermore, we were not brought here complete at the same time. Some came in January 2015, and others in April. Those who came in January are ahead of the rest with one semester. That’s why those who came in January, and were able to register 21 credit hours after we resumed from October 6 will be able to graduate by June 2018. While those who couldn’t register 21 credit hours will graduate after taking some summer courses (at the end of the session, they’ll take 2-3 courses to complete). But those who came late, will not be able to graduate at all until they make up the semester they missed at the beginning. And that’s what the government is trying to refuse.
First, it’s not our fault that we came late, it was government’s decision.
Second, we didn’t go to October 6 on our own, it was government’s order.
And now how can the government punish us for it? It’s just a single semester. We will all finish after that. All of us.
So I thought you should know about this issue too Sir. Our parents are doing their best to negotiate with the government officials and if possible they even want to have audience with His Excellency the governor to discuss it with him. But we don’t know what the outcome might be. If they really insist on not paying for that semester, I’m afraid there will be another set of 28 students who will have to return home without their degree, unless Allah plans something different.
Attached to this is the letter the government sent to the company and the school confirming the termination of the 37 students from the scholarship.
We thank you so much Sir. We pray to Allah to reward you with the best in this world and the next.”